Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Walking around Canada

On Fri. 22 Oct 2010 I reached Flat Creek which is located on the Klondike Hwy, 40 K's east of Dawson City, Yukon Territory in Canada. My wife and I spent 18 glorious days in the Yukon this summer from 28 Jul til 14 Aug. travelling from Whitehorse to Inuvik, NWT. So again I passed myself twice on my virtual walk around Canada, for the 3rd and 4th time.
I am now walking up the Dempster Hwy which is a gravel road and 731 K's to Inuvik.
There is pavement for about the first 6 K's and just after that we reached the North Fork ditch.
For about 60 years this ditch channelled water to a hydro electric plant 25 K's west. The hydro was used to run the massive gold dredges near Dawson City. There is one on display near the original gold calim on Bonanza creek. The Dempster Hwy is named after a RCMP officer who used this route when travelling from Dawson to Ft. McPherson. Construction of the hwy started in 1959 and was completed to Inuvik in 1979
This ditch is at mileage 6.4k reached 25 Oct

No comments: